Monday, June 08, 2009

Matching Outfits

My sister and I, just 20 months apart in age, never wore matching outfits growing up. In fact, we went to great lengths to avoid wearing similar clothes. If we were ever given matching outfits as gifts from family members who didn’t know better, we’d make sure never to wear them on the same day. Which is why it seems so strange to me that my girls, also 20 months apart in age, love to wear identical outfits.

It’s gotten to the point where I pick out one kid’s outfit for the day, then show it to the other one, before asking what she wants to wear. If they can’t find their identical princess shirts, and the matching purple frog shirts are both dirty, and it’s too warm for the similar long-sleeved Tinkerbell shirts, they’ll settle for shirts that are different, but that they received in the same gift package from their Grandma. How they can both remember the gift well enough to distinguish the Easter gift shirts (one blue with butterflies, the other orange with flowers) from the Grandma’s visit shirts (one purple with a sparkly design, the other green with a turtle on it), I’ll never know, but they remember, and expect me to as well.

I think it might have something to do with my aversion to dressing them alike. I didn’t like it as a child, so I’ve avoided doing it to them for so long, that now it’s an attractive alternative from the norm. Maybe if I’d insisted on dressing them alike, they’d now refuse to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment