Monday, July 13, 2009

Dresses

Leave it to my mother-in-law to come through on the fancy dress front. My four-year-old is still asking daily about my wedding dress. She feels this desperate need to try it on. All of my explanations that it simply won’t fit seem to do nothing to stop her constant requests. She simply needs it, that pretty white dress all around her. And this need is driving both of us crazy.

This week my sister-in-law is here to visit. Now, prior to this visit, she has been worshipped and adored by her nieces, to the point where she has become one of their primary imaginary friends in games around the house. But after opening her suitcase to reveal two flower girl dresses she wore 25 years ago, there will be no topping her in their eyes.

My mother-in-law was cleaning out her attic or a closet, and came across these old dresses: one satiny one with puffy pink sleeves and another white one with lace sleeves, a satiny bodice, and a layered skirt. My girls have been wearing them ever since, prancing around like princesses, holding up the front of their skirts like Cinderella racing down the stairs to flee the prince. My oldest immediately claimed the white dress for herself, and the toddler (always so easy-going) is very happy with the puffy pink one. They are adorable, running around the house in these very formal, highly impractical dresses, asking their auntie again and again if she really wore them when she was a little girl. And, best of all, I haven’t heard a word about the wedding dress since my oldest slipped that white flower girl dress on. Thank you, to the best mother-in-law and sister-in-law ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment