Wednesday, June 10, 2009

ID Bracelets

My girls have little ID bracelets that I put on them whenever we’re out and about. They’re just like the medic alert one my sister used to wear for her penicillin allergy, but they have cute dolphins and sea shells on the front, and inscribed on the back are the girls’ names, our address, and our cell phone numbers. I figure this way, if they ever get really separated from me, and a kind-hearted person is somehow able to get close enough to this hysterical child to see they’re wearing an ID bracelet, and then is somehow able to get said hysterical child to allow them to flip over the metal tag to read it, they can call me to come get this tantrum-thrower off their hands.

Luckily, we’ve never gotten separated, so this theory hasn’t been tested. But the first time I took a toddler into a bustling airport, I found myself wishing I could tattoo my phone number onto her forehead. This is a nicely modified version of that. I’m surprised I don’t see more of them on other kids. I’ve had various moms come up to me in parks and ask what my kid’s allergic to, then tell me what a great idea they think it is to have my kids labeled with my contact info. I mean, really, we take the time to tag the dog (not just with dog tags, but a microchip) to make sure if he strays we’ll get him back. Shouldn’t we take the same precautions with our kids? I’m still waiting to the microchipping to be approved in kids, but in the mean time, I’m happy to have them wearing ID tags.

No comments:

Post a Comment